Sunday, April 24, 2016

Self-portrait with a Charcoal Pencil

Hello again! Our class has started a new drawing skill and new chapter: drawing portraits.
This time, we drew our own self-portraits with a charcoal pencil. Using charcoal can be a lot harder than drawing with graphite pencils because it is harder to erase it. Also, charcoal pencil does not have a variety of harness or darkness like graphite pencils do, so more careful handling is needed.
This picture below is my self-portrait that I drew the other day. 


Since our class aims to draw objects from life, so I had to constantly look at myself in the mirror to finish this piece. First I used a compressed charcoal all over the drawing pad and smeared it with a paper towel. I then used a charcoal pencil and began drawing my eyes, nose, mouth, and overall facial shape. Next, I used an art eraser to express the highlights of the face. Once I was done drawing, I sprayed over it in order to prevent it from damage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment